Saturday 12 January 2013

Pre chemo hair chop

I'm not sure how with so much time on my hands I've not managed to write more blogs? I'd planned to be all upto date before going into hospital on Monday for day one of chemo but somehow haven't had chance!!!

I'm now lay beside Madeline ( my 3 year old ) while she tries to turn her over stimulated brain off and sleep and thought this was an ideal opportunity to get in another quick one!

The first thing people think about as a side effect of chemo is going bald, ( well maybe they don't but I did ). This wasn't as scary a thought as I had initially worried it may have been. Being bald wasn't that bad surely?

Saying that I had never even had short hair, so it was going to be a super change! I didn't want to go from long hair to nothing so as I way of trying to gain some control over the situation I decided to have a pre chemo chop! I wasn't quite up for GI Jane quite yet, but short was bearable!

My lovely friend had got me a voucher for a cut and style so with no time like the present. I booked in for the day after and off I went! The lady that cut my hair was very sweet and I think she anticipated I would be more emotional than I was. She asked how I wanted to do this, tie it in a bobble and chop it off? collect it in an envelope? Turn away from the mirror? None of these options i had given any thought to, and didnt feel the need to make it into a ceremony.

Looking in the mirror as my hair was chopped off was ok, a little bizarre to think the bobble round my wrist would no longer be required for the next year or so! As more and more hair came off i couldn't help thinking I looked more and more like Dr Pixie McKenna ( from channel 4's embarrassing bodies ).

Soon i was off on my way, convinced everyone was looking at me thinking I looked a little odd!

I would never have chosen short hair and much prefer my old hair but hey it's done now and it's an opportunity to try it out and see what it looks like! Not as bad as it could be!

Il stroke and 'appreciate' it for another couple of weeks and then il have a nice shiny head!

Pics are 3 days before getting ill 2 weeks into being ill ( and a random pic from couple of years ago ) and my chopped hair



1 comment:

  1. Came to this through your cousin's twitter. I wish you all the very best x

    ReplyDelete