Tuesday 8 January 2013

Home from my CT scan with a belly full of gastrografin and 2 bruised arms

A quick update from my CT scan today;

I was offered the opportunity to join a research trial ( REMoDL-B ) into a new drug in lymphoma called Bortezomib. It wasn't a hard decision to make as the drug is used in other cancers such as myeloma and have been shown to work really well. Also I would have standard chemotherapy (RCHOP) either way with extra Bortezomib or not depending which group I was randomised too. It helps that Rick is running this trial from his hospital so knows a lot about it.

In order to get onto trials you need to jump through some hoops and today was hoop jumping day. I needed a CT scan, bloods, ECG and a physical examination so off I went this morning at 845.

Yes I know I'm repetitive but I wasn't looking forward to my canula! I had been very brave and calm about it, I'd even bought some rescue remedy and went in cool as a cucumber. I have 2 wacking great veins that no one could miss....... Surely??

After a heat pack and a random stroke from the nurse she went for a random tiny vein which proceeded to work for almost a minute before giving up. After a wiggle and a poke it was clarified it was knackered so out it came and we moved onto my other arm. Luckily that one was more successful but the damage had already psychologically been done. Day one, canula one and a miss.

That turned me into Mrs Mardy Bum ( secretly for mine and Ricks benefit only of course ). Luckily for the staff they don't have to be introduced to that side of me or I may get chucked out of the place!

Grumpy me was then sent for my CT, 'Nearly home time' I naively thought! I was met at CT by a chirpy radiographer clutching a litre of gastrografin ( contrast dye ) I needed to drink over the next hour.

Hang on a minute! What? Why!? I'm in a mood and you can't spring things like that at me. I don't like nasty surprises, I don't like nasty drinks!

Smiling nicely I took the blasted thing and went and hid in the corner of the a canteen forcing this nasty aniseed gloop down into my grumpy body that just wanted to go home! Remind me why I wanted to go on this trial again!!

Smiling nicely I scuttled back to scan and was loaded into a bed which fed me through a big plastic donut while speakers gave me instructions; 'breathe now', ' hold your breath', 'don't swallow'. Then I was injected with 100ml of more contrast dye. Luckily the radiographer had warned me that I was about to feel like I was wetting myself! That avoided any awkward patting myself down just to check I hadn't totally embarrassed myself!

The contrast flows down your arm and you feel a hot flush from your face to your bladder and then the feeling you have just wet yourself? Bizarre but ok! I was then sent on my way with my empty contrast pot and had to wait 15 mins to get my canula out. Finally it was out and I skipped off home, (Ok so I didn't skip and I was still Mrs Moody Bum but I escaped 4 hours after I got there for a 20 min scan?!)

Now in bed with my friends home made steak pie, vienetta and a new stack of books I'm feeling much better! I'm in a long sleeved top and refuse to acknowledge that I have 2 bruised arms and a blood blister, and that i need to repeat this process on Friday for my long awaited PET scan. This is a similar process but longer. I go in starved and get another canula to give me muscle relaxants and a sugar solution before spending a couple of hours in a dark room not talking before going through another scanner.

Can't wait!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment