Monday 14 January 2013

Day one of chemo all done

I'm sat awaiting my MRSA admission swabs at 23:00 ( despite being in hospital 14 hours?! ) then the lights may finally go out and I may actually sleep!

Today's been great, as well as I could have hoped for I guess!

I'm lay in bed not feeling too bad at all, I wonder if its the calm before the storm or whether I am actually superwoman?

After being admitted onto the haematology day unit I was allocated an actual bed ( apparently that's very VIP), right in the middle of the unit! My nurse today was super sweet and obviously good at her job and finally someone that's great at cannulating too! First time in, very gentle and all ready to go! Even needed some bloods and she was kind enough to do gently in my hand, perfect!

I'm not sure what I expected the chemo to look like but it was just pre drawn up in a syringe and slowly pushed in? My first part of the cocktail was bright red and the nurse informed me this was my super toxic one, doxyrubisin. The one that will make my hair fall out and give me the most side effects, on the other hand though its the bad boy that will do its magic in me too!

Before my chemo I has some piriton ( antihistamine ) so I then spent the day feeling I had had vodka cocktails for breakfast. So while happily watching the world go by I got all 4 of my chemo drugs in and felt ok.

The last of my poisons was rituximab ( prob spelt totally wrong ) which is a monoclonal antibody which will generate an immune response so my body can kill off the cancer. Because this can cause a big reaction it starts as a very slow infusion gathering speed till 500 mls has all gone! After about an hour I felt like someone had stuck a big splinter in my throat and my voice went all croaky so I had it turned off for 20 mins. After this it all went smoothly and after about 3 hours I was all done!

I think that I felt a bit weird by the end but couldn't decide!? So just forgot about trying to work it out!

I was promptly delivered to the ward and hastily tucked into my yummy tea of pasta bake and vegetables and manchester tart. Did feel slightly guilty as my 3 neighbours were trying really hard to force down half a cup of soup!

Rick stayed with me all day and then mum, David ( brother ) and Katy came to keep me company till I chucked them out to watch Coronation Street! Sat and munched some mint matchmakers and that's about it!!

I think I might feel a little dodgy now but maybe I just need to go sleep? My neck feels very full and i am sure it's as thick as Frankenstein's?

Well it's 23:15 now and the lights gone out! Finally. Still not had swabs but may just go sleep?

Nighty night!

Pics on way to hospital / waiting for lights out end of the day
First bit of Cocktail going in




No comments:

Post a Comment